Saturday 30 March 2013

Laundry laments

Moving in lesson no.1

Laundry sessions are almost like competitive sport. You're constantly watching the other team and rushing for your turn at the washing machine as soon as the other gets their laundry out. Then you hoard the thing for a day or two, revelling in your victory.

I wouldn't say its pleasant to have to share things with people but one thing I've learnt over these past couple of days is to be mindful of other's space as this is no longer my childhood home. There is none of the comforts and complacency that someone will clean after me or that if I forget to take the laundry in, my mum's always there to help me out.

In other words, living on your own is scary shit because everything is new. I had to learn how to use a strange washing machine and pour the liquid in instead of in the detergent compartment. I'm also not used to hanging clothes without clothpegs! But its all part of the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment